Thursday 29 December 2011

First World Problems

 Check this out:


You know what I don't like about this?  Hunger, Cholera, and Rape are considered "real" problems.  I would say they are "Third World" problems to parallel with the "First World" problems.  Just because we have our basic necessities doesn't mean the annoyances we encounter everyday are not "real" problems.  We have our standards.  Other people have their standards.  Who's to say who has "real" problems or not?  It annoys me to no end how people sacrifice themselves in order to raise awareness of poor conditions in other countries.  The 30 hour famine, the vow of silence.  Why do people have to be so stupid as to starve themselves just so people are aware?  I understand that people think it makes a difference but it doesn't help anybody when hundreds of kids are adding to the problem of starvation.  In the grand sceme of things, nothing matters.  Who cares about HDTV?  Who cares about parking spots?  Who cares about rape?  Who cares about cholera?  None of them are important when compared to the cosmos.  But the thing is, we do care.  Throughout this rant, I can imagine people screaming at me for being so insensitive.  Let me defend myself for a minute.  I always try to be as unbiased as possible.  I treat everything the same as much as I can.  It may be weird for you to think of war having the same severity as lagging on the computer, but try to see things my way.  I understand what this person was trying to say with the "First World" and "real" problems, so try to understand where I'm coming from.  I would like to make clear that I am concerned about all of these problems.  I just don't like how people categorize these as "important" or "unimportant".

No comments:

Post a Comment